Thursday, October 23, 2008

Settling in . . . still

I know this is a rather self-indulgent blog, or at least it has been lately, because I have been using all of my energy just trying to exist in BA, trying to figure out how can I be sufficiently happy enough to get through another day and not come home. I like having funny stories to share, but so far nothing funny has been happening. The only funny stories are the ones I´ve been thinking about from past experiences. It´s really great to have a whole bag of these to look back on when things look grim. And amidst all of my self-absorption, with my anxiety and panic over whether or not I´m going to find organic produce or will all of the (extreme like I´ve never experienced it before) pollution cause me to look like Cosmo Kramer after he turned his apartment into a smoking lounge, the entire world is falling apart.

Craziness!

Yesterday the Argentinian government announced that they would be turning private pensions public and the country is in a panic. What this all means I don´t quite know. Since I´ve been here, I´ve wondered if this was perhaps not the best time to tap into my savings and travel a foreign land. It´s completely impractical, I realize this. That puts all the more pressure on me to make something out of my experience.

Anyway, I´ve moved to a nicer area where I can actually walk to the parks in an hour and it´s a very nice walk the whole way, with museums, nice neighborhoods, and a giant metal flower that opens and closes relative to day and night. I can see trees from my bedroom window and it is quiet at night. I also can watch the news on TV and become completely glued to CNN in fascination. (I´ve never found the news to be this addictive since 9-11.) I have my own tiny kitchen and a bathtub. It feels like utter extravagance in comparison to my last accomodations and I am very thankful that I had that barebones experience in a less than ideal neighborhood (where I was getting horrible bug bites every night as well) because it makes me appreciate my new place so much! Something that I can´t quite figure out, however, is why a swarm of flies gather above my bed and attack each other. They come back to the same place every day and thankfully leave at night.

So, what´s next.... I am looking into some other Spanish classes for I missed the sign-up on Monday (was returning from Uruguay) and decided I didn´t want to sign up for something that would be everyday anyway. Tomorrow night I´m going to a Paraguayan harp concert with Maria and her family and friends. That should be really interesting. More to come.

I will try putting some pictures on here soon. I´m having to come to a locutorio (phone and internet place) because I still can´t get the internet on my computer, even with a cable. We´ll see if I can do pictures on their computers.

Hope all is well! Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Anne,
I am enjoying your blog. I want to wish you a happy birthday on November 1st. Hope to see you when you return from your wanderings and look forward to hearing more stories about your adventures.
Love, Papa's Jean

rdestes said...

Anne, we are following your adventure and your mood swings. Sounds as though you are on an upswing right now. Getting into that Spanish class will change many things for you. I so love hearing about all of the details of what you are doing. We are going to celebrate Lindsay's birthday with her tonight. Will give her a hug and "happy birthday" for you. Love Mom and Dad

Anne Estes said...

great to see your comment, Jean! And to receive your birthday wishes, thank you! Hope all is well!

Anne Estes said...

hi Dad,
BA is not an easy place to adjust to, but it's getting better every day! Getting to know Argentines seems to be key. Xoxo